University Clinic providing Individual or Group Services for people with Aphasia or related communication diagnoses.
The clinic uses KU Endowment funds to pay for its services and does not bill through insurance.
All services are supervised by clinical faculty who maintain the Certificate of Clinical Competence from the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, and who are licensed through the Kansas Department for Aging and Disability Services and the Missouri Board of Healing Arts.
Telepractice services are available to individuals living in Kansas or Missouri. Due to current regulations, we are not able to provide telepractice services to individuals living in other states at this time.
For current programs and availability contact us at:
- PHONE: 913-588-5937 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday
- E-MAIL: Laura Melo, LMelo@kumc.edu
Services as of Fall 2023:
Individual Services: KU Medical Center, Kansas City, KS
- language (aphasia or cognitive-linguistics)
- speech (dysarthria or apraxia of speech),
- swallowing (dysphagia)
- AAC (alternative-augmentative communication or communication devices)
- Aphasia Conversation Group: Turning Point Center for Healing, Leawood, KS
- Members have aphasia after stroke, brain tumor, or other neurological injury.
- Reading and Conversation Group: Zoom
- Members have a variety of communication impairments including dysarthria, aphasia, cognitive-linguistic impairment, or other diagnoses.
A listing in our database should not be viewed as an endorsement for any particular service, program, technology, or group. Read the full disclaimer.