Games

Word Games to Help With Aphasia

Once upon a time, we pulled together a resource for favourite word games used to reinforce speech therapy work or keep the mind active during the early stages of primary progressive aphasia. So many other word games have become popular since we wrote that post, so we’re updating it with even more game ideas to help treat aphasia. These were suggested by other National Aphasia Association members on our Facebook wall.

Board Games

Plenty of word-related board games made the list:

Apps and Online Games

Apps were popular, and a quick search shows plenty of crossword puzzle and word find apps. Additionally, people liked:

Other Games

Some non-word-related games, such as Rummikub, made the list because the games generate a lot of talking while you play.

Playing along with Jeopardy on television (can you guess the answer before the contestants?) or playing the board game version worked, too.

Mad Libs, word searches, and crossword puzzles rounded out the list.

What are your favourite games for finding words and keeping you talking?

Image: Amanda Jones via Unsplash

Comments

• Kristina
    March 7, 2019 at 11:25 am

Be nice if Andriod platform games were included as well in this post. Not an iOS user, 🤷‍♀️. Thank you.

• Deborah Insalaco
    August 28, 2019 at 9:28 am

The aptly named game “Anomia” similar to Taboo is fun.

• James Jett
    August 28, 2019 at 9:29 am

Hello ,
    I had a stroke on my brain while I was working for the Olympic Game and Paralympic games in Rio. I was a project manager there. September 13, 2016 the day I had a stroke. Now I’m working on my motivational speakers.

Do you like to play a game ? I do geocache playing game around the globe and walking around. Some people don’t know how to play the game and Geocache. Some people may like that.

Just have fun I have for aphasia group thing people should get together once a month like bowling this month , next month The zoo, third Month take it to the baseball/football, and so on.

Thanks for helping us at aphasia group

Regard,
    James

• Philip carter
    August 28, 2019 at 10:06 am

Where’s scrabble i was never any good but not good at any game

• Philip carter
    August 28, 2019 at 10:08 am

I wish I was better

• Karen
    August 30, 2019 at 2:23 pm

A to Z is good for generating words within a category 🙂

• Saundra Bryn
    August 31, 2019 at 8:59 pm

I am a “language lover” and user who loves words – and loves to play with them.
    Based on my children’s recommendations and some examinations at Barrows Neurological, we have recognized aphasia in my behaviors.
    Truthfully, I have always talked in the abstract/random – but I have always talked.
    It’s odd, now, that I’ll mess up words for items and people and events and… so many other things.
    I want to recoup my language. I will work to do so.
    My daughter and son will assist as do so many of my very dear friends.
    I’ll work on this.
    I will appreciate discussions with people who are willing to explore. I am willing. Not sure I’ll be happy, but I will try.
    I work with people easily. I have run businesses successfully. I complete what I say I will do.
    I’ve talked with a dear speech therapy friend, and we have discussed the differences in language between the “younger” and the “older.” We’ll work at it.

• Dorothy Ross
    September 8, 2019 at 2:53 pm

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?
    Jeopardy
    Family Feud
    Any trivia game relevant to player interests

• Alexis Watterson
    February 12, 2020 at 10:30 am

Hi!!!

I have learned a table game called Qwirkle. I find it helpful.